The UK is planning to overhaul residency policy and may terminate automatic residency for migrant workers
The immigration minister of UK Mr. Damian Green recently published that the government is all set to pushing the latest reforms regarding automatic settlement in terms of the employment which is required to be terminated.
According to the UK immigration news, as until now, the migrants on the work permit or the domestic worker's visa expected that they could go for applying for permanent residency after the 5 years and for the British Citizenship, a year later.
According to the UK immigration news the radical changes includes the new minimum pay thresholds means that candidates with their best working experience are the ones who will be able to apply for the desired residency. As per the new rules, the government intends to do the following:
- The government will continue to monitor and seek changes to the immigration policy and may even make additional changes to permanent residency policy.
- Those who run their own business, along with talented migrants will fall under Tier 1 category.
- As per the UK immigration news, the government will continue to assist and enable settlement for those who fall under Tier 2 plus provided they meet the minimum wage requirement of £35,000.
- PH-D level scientist and other researchers will qualify the settlement without having the minimum salary criteria.
- The government will also consider all workers to be exempted in terms of the minimum settlement salary in case of shortage occupations jobs which may include the nurses, social workers, teachers and much more.
- The candidates who fall under the Tier 2 can extend the temporary visa in order to stay in UK up to 6 years along with a cooling-off period of about a year.
- The government plans to make it possible for overseas domestic workers to apply and work privately, in UK for a period of up to six months, but they would be required to stay employed by the same company for this entire duration.
- The UK government also makes it possible for overseas visitors to undertake short term assignments, for periods not extending one to two months, with no requirements of sponsorship by anyone.
- Tier 5 category workers, are those who are employed by various diplomatic households, and as such, are allowed to stay and work in UK for a period of up to five years.
The proposed changes, some of which are already in effect, are designed to limit immigration as per criterion set by the government.